2. Pop Culture References: Any reference to pop culture will immediately catch my attention. The title of today’s blog was inspired by Bravo’s Flipping Out’s Jeff Lewis. It’s a quote he said on the show. I’m obsessed with TV and all things on it. I constantly have new shows to record on my TiVo and use TV shows as a basis of many of my conversations. It’s an addiction. I know. I don’t care. If a marketer can relate to me on that level, reference something in pop culture. I connect instantly.
3. Make it Integratable: With anything I get, I want to be able to integrate it into my existing processes or products. Case in point, I have a TiVo. When I wanted to buy Flipping Out Season 1 from Amazon Unbox, I learned that I could watch it on my TiVo AND online. Perfect. I love when things integrate without having to be “hacked” personally modified to fit my specifications.
4. Authenticity and Originality: I love to see an original and fresh point of view. Bring me something that I haven’t seen, something that is distinctly your own. For example, the musician Jay Brannan. Something I haven’t heard but something distinctly him. He isn’t on a big record label and there is nothing else out there like it and that draws me to it.
5. Local Flare: Relate to me on the local level. Recently, I travelled to Portland, Oregon. Where I subsequently fell in love. I love to find local magazines. Find the local hotspots, where the locals like to go. I find that when a marketer can get me at the local level, wherever I am Austin, Portland, or Boise (my hometown) and communicate at that level. I’m instantly sucked in.
6. Fashion & Trendiness: I like to be up to date with my fashion and like to follow trends; whether it be the Pashmina scarf or my skinny jeans. I spend a good percentage of my extra cash on clothing. With that in mind, if an item is currently trending in and is a little more expensive I’ll spend the money to stay up with it.
7. Affluence Aspiration: Closely associated with fashion and trendiness is the factor of affluence. I will buy a pair of Rock Revival/Rock and Republic/Seven Jeans even though I know I could get a nearly identical style for half the price. I buy expensive cologne and hygiene products (shampoo, hair products, etc) even though I could get something that would achieve a similar result. When something is priced higher and promises better quality with a connotation of affluence I am more likely to purchase it.

8. Creature Comforts: I love all things comfortable. I’m not willing to sacrifice my comfort for the sake of a lower price. I’ll spend the extra money on a Tempur-Pedic mattress or an 80 dollar oversized “Nap” blanket from Brookstone. The same goes for clothing. If it’s wool, I won’t wear it. It must be soft, it must be comfortable.
9. Family Oriented: Anything that brings me closer to my family is a major plus. I’m originally from Boise, Idaho and don’t get to see my family that often. Any service I can use to make me feel closer to them I will spend the money to get. Unlimited texting, Picture/Video Mail, Skype; these services connect me to my family, and that’s just with my phone. I appreciate when a marketer can bring me something that makes me feel at home.
10. Fitness: I subscribe to two magazines Men’s Health. As a former “fatty” I try to go to the gym 5 days a week. I listen to Jillian Michael podcasts online and purchase fitness books as well as use online sites like Livestrong.com’s “Daily Plate” function and more recently have been tracking workouts through Bodybuilding.com’s workout logs. I’m constantly using different forms of media to gain knowledge about fitness and health.
No comments:
Post a Comment